Earthsoft PL3 (Japan ISDB-T & th B-CAS system)

Earthsoft PL3 (Japan ISDB-T & th B-CAS system)

Mike Burr
Greetings.

I live in Japan and simply refuse to buy "a TV" or commercial DVR. I used MythTV for years and years in the US with complete satisfaction. And horror of horrors, Japan doesn't use NTSC.

Now I'm having to learn about and endure the whole ISDB-T + B-CAS thing they have here in Japan. In addition to using ISDB-T for terrestrial digital broadcast, they have this silly little B-CAS card thing that must be plugged in in order to receive anything other than tsunami warnings.

But for the B-CAS thing, I think I've found the perfect tuner card: http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00857CQAM/ And there's even a driver for it, which I can successfully compile: https://github.com/m-tsudo/pt3 (no, I'm not schilling for Amazon or for my own Amazon account. These are direct links.)

What I don't understand is: does this card come with B-CAS card (perhaps permanently embedded)? Or do I need to get some kind of dongle: http://www.amazon.co.jp/NTT-ME-SCR3310-NTTCom/dp/B00117VJ7O/ And if I do get said dongle, will the driver recognize and use it?

I know I'm asking a lot of the largely non-Japanese v4l community, but surely someone knows someone. I download "dramas" from Japan quite a bit, so someone's doing video capture.

Suggestions for alternate, known-to-work hardware would also be greatly appreciated. This is going to cost a fortune by comparison, so you won't surprise me with price.

ヘルププリーズ

Re: Earthsoft PL3 (Japan ISDB-T & th B-CAS system)

Mike Burr
万が一日本人が読んでくれたら、これ(http://www.amazon.co.jp/gp/product/B00857CQAM/ )をリナックスで使える?BーCASカードはどうすればいい?これみたいなドングルが必要(http://www.amazon.co.jp/NTT-ME-SCR3310-NTTCom/dp/B00117VJ7O/ )?あんなのを利用したら、ドライバ(PT3)と互換でしょうか。

サンキュー

Re: Earthsoft PL3 (Japan ISDB-T & th B-CAS system)

Mike Burr
I posted a Japanese translation of this post and it bounced. I'll hunt for Japanese language lists/forums devoted to v4l, etc. But if anyone has any pointers, even other English language resources that might be helpful, that'd be super.